Sunday, February 27, 2011

Finally, A New Post

I can't believe it's taken me this long to write. I have had a pretty tough winter term between hard classes, a bad class schedule and missing home, I've been really focused on myself lately. But I am finally in a place to reflect and give some of my attention to all my wonderful followers.
I want to write today about gossiping, a habit I know we all have. Everyone says that gossiping is bad and we all agree but it usually doesn't stop us. Why is it like that? I couldn't tell you (even though I am fascinated by that question) but I do know that talking about someone is hurting you as well as that person. Each girl should be a strong, confident, wonderful person and by bringing someone down to make you feel better or whatever the reason you do it shows the world that you don't believe that about yourself, not to mention it's just not nice.
When you think about it, it's pretty simple, you are better than that.
I don't think it's possible to complete stop gossiping, but I do urge you all to just be cautious. Listen to yourself talk, I used to gossip without even knowing it. If you are gossiping or talking poorly about someone, make sure you acknowledge it, and just try to limit the things you say. Also, just because your friends are talking badly about someone doesn't mean you need to join them. Try to put a stop to it if you can.
To all my younger followers, middle school is a tough time and you will encounter a ton of gossiping. For some reason girls decide they need to put down everyone else to feel better about themselves and then it spreads like a disease and everyone else takes part. It is hard to not take join or be hurt by it but try to limit the bad things you say about people. Ask yourself "would I want people saying that about me?" Remember if you are being talked about it, YOU ARE BETTER THAN THAT. Eleanor Roosevelt said "no one can make your inferior without your consent". Words definitely hurt but try to not let them get to you too much. Also, think about the "friend" who is saying this, re-evaluate your friendship if she happens to be a friend.
This all sounds like common knowledge but even in college there is so much unnecessary gossiping and the earlier you break the habit, the better.
Try to be aware of what you and the people around you are saying, you might be surprised.
Then, take action and start with yourself!

3 comments:

  1. Who is the girl in that picture!? It looks like little Ella Dallera aka Taylor Doris. xoxo love you and this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Calling someone fat won't make you any skinner. Calling someone stupid doesn't make you any smarter. Ruining someone's life won't make yours any better. The only thing that you can do in life is solve the problem that's in front of you." - Mean Girls

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tay,
    You are a smart girl, nice blog. Even inspiring to us fifty somethings, helpful to remember how important it is to be just a good person.

    ReplyDelete